Monday, September 2, 2013

You can teach a new dog old tricks...

I am fairly new to fly fishing, I have only been practicing the art for three years now. In no way do I claim or call myself a master. If you want to read a blog about catching hundreds of fish, giant trophies, or boastful accounts and decrees of terminology and skillfulness than one need not read on with my words. For I am a dreamer, I speak of what I feel be it right or wrong. My words are inspired by my surroundings and my experiences and I apologize for none of them. I wear my heart on my sleeve and the tip of my line.
That being said I truly love this sport! Its something that is completely mine, something I discovered and taught myself. A bond between myself, nature, god and trout that only we understand. Life is tough and unforgiving but all those worries seem to fade when I'm on the river searching for a trout, or perhaps myself.
Ever since I became a fly fisherman I have been completely fascinated with "vintage" or antique fly gear and equipment. But up until now I've been a collector not a partaker. But my old fashionedness recently got the better of me and I took up my old 60's glass rod, old teton fly reel and old cortland sylk fly line and hit the water. Determined to discover if this art, this sport, that can humble even the most expert angler with the most modern equipment can be accomplished with the tools from the days of old.
I have never felt a truer, purer, more rewarding experience in all my life. To be standing in the river, a kingdom from which men, lords and masters of the fly in the past once waded and fished for the same wild fish that spawned forth the same wild weary trout I match my skill against today. And to be connected to them on that median, of fishing with the same tools I toss my flies with today as they did years ago. I have never been more honored and humbled in all my life. I may not catch as many fish as if I used a modern rod, reel and line. But I promise the memory of each one I land and hold in my hand with my old glass rod in the other, will last an eternity within my heart, soul, and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment